A 22-month comprehensive course of study that combines didactic and clinical training
MISSION & GOALS
The Radiography Program has made a firm commitment to the education of students in the field of Radiography.
Our mission is the training of Radiographers who are skilled individuals, qualified by technical education, to provide services using various imaging modalities.
The Radiography Program offers a program of radiologic technology education at the certificate level.
The goals of the program are to have students that will:
- Be clinically competent
- Communicate effectively
- Use critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Grow and develop professionally
The program identifies benchmarks to provide a standard by which the effectiveness of the program in achieving its goals is continually evaluated and monitored. An assessment plan is in place and can be obtained from the program director.
Upon graduation, students will receive a certificate of completion and are prepared to meet the requirements to sit for the written examination of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and to function as entry level Radiologic Technologists.
Specifically, the program’s objectives are to have our graduates perform effectively by:
- Applying knowledge of radiation protection for patients, self, and others
- Applying knowledge of anatomy, positioning and radiographic technique to accurately demonstrate anatomical structures on a radiograph
- Determining exposure factors to achieve optimum radiographic technique with a minimum of radiation exposure to patients
- Examining radiographs for the purpose of evaluating technique, positioning and other pertinent technical qualities
- Exercising discretion and judgment in the performance of medical imaging procedures
- Providing patient care essential to radiographic procedures
- Recognizing emergency patient conditions and initiating life-saving treatment within their scope of practice
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Students will apply positioning skills
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of equipment
- Students will practice radiation protection
- Students will employ proper techniques
- Students will use effective oral communication skills with healthcare professionals and patients
- Students will demonstrate effective presentation skills and written communication skills
- Students will adjust all necessary elements to perform non-routine exams
- Students will appropriately evaluate images
- Students will demonstrate professional behavior
- Students will understand ethical decision making
- Students will understand the importance of obtaining membership in professional organizations and obtaining certifications for advanced modalities
- Students will complete the program
- Students will pass the ARRT National Certification on the first attempt
- Graduates will be satisfied with their education and training
- Graduates will be gainfully employed within 6 months
- Employers will be satisfied with graduates’ training
Credentialing Examination and Licensure
Center for Allied Health Education’s Radiography Program graduates are qualified to sit for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists National Certification Exam and New York State Department of Health licensure. The course of instruction follows the latest Standards for an Accredited Education Program in Radiologic Sciences as published by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT).