An accredited 15-month program prepares Certified/Registered Medical Assistants
CAHE’s Medical Assistant Program is an accredited, 15-month program that cross-trains students to meet healthcare providers’ administrative and clinical needs through integrated didactic instruction and hands-on clinical experience. The scope of practice for Medical Assistants includes the following aspects:
- Manage the check in and registration process for patients
- Take patient vitals
- Act as triage and liaison between patients and physicians
- Provide information to patients on wound care, medications, and lab results
- Perform venipunctures and capillary punctures (Phlebotomy), and assist with minor surgical procedures
- Perform electrocardiograms (EKG)
- Perform data entry into EMR system
- Order supplies, stock exam rooms and schedule patient appointments
CAHE’s Medical Assistant Program prepares individuals with the medical, clerical, clinical, and laboratory skills necessary to succeed in the field. Students obtain the necessary didactic (in-class) instruction, along with the hands-on experience at affiliated clinical sites by completing rotations.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Assistant (MA) Program, certified applicants who have met the required criteria will be automatically accepted into CAHE’s other full-time programs and qualify for the Graduate Discount (GD), allowing them to receive a 10% discount on tuition when enrolling in any other full-time program offered by the Center. The discount will be applied to the base tuition only and per the quarter for which the student is enrolled. In order to qualify, graduates must be enrolled into a new program within two years of their original graduation date.
Students who meet the following criteria are automatically eligible to receive a 10% tuition discount toward any of the Center’s full-time programs and will have the admissions process waived:
- Successful completion of the Center’s Medical Assistant Program.
- Credentialing as a Certified Medical Assistant.
- An overall GPA of 3.3 or higher. No documented disciplinary action, professional behavior issues or attendance issues on record.
- A favorable recommendation from a committee consisting of the Center’s Administration, Admissions Department and program staff.
- Meet the entrance requirements and qualifications of the new program.
- Students who do not meet these conditions may apply for other programs and will be evaluated as a new applicant to the program.
Students who have successfully completed the entire course of study and met all financial obligations of the Medical Assistant Program will be eligible for graduation and to apply to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant examination administered by the American Association of Medical Assistants or the Registered Medical Assistant examination administered by the American Medical Technologists. For more information regarding the exam and cost, please visit American Association of Medical’s Assistants website at www.aama-ntl.org or the American Medical Technologists website at www.americanmedtech.org.
Students must meet all of the following requirements in order to graduate from the Program:
- Have met all academic requirements
- Have met all clinical requirements and attained all required competencies
- Have met all financial obligations
- Have returned their swipe card, ID card, etc.
- Students who have not fulfilled their graduation requirements have twenty (20) weeks from their originally scheduled graduation date to complete all missing graduation requirements.
A C average – an index (GPA) of 2.0 – is required for graduation.