Online. On Campus. On Your Time
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older prior to orientation.
- Applicants must be in good mental and physical health, free from any physical handicaps which would interfere with their work. Ultimately, individuals must meet the Technical Standards for Admissions listed for each program (see below).
- Applicants must have completed a recognized high school or equivalent. Individuals who attended an online high school, or who were homeschooled, should contact the Admissions Department to determine their eligibility to enroll.
- Have current NYS EMT certiciation (must be valid for the duration of the program).
- Have 4+ months of EMT experience or equivalent.
This policy outlines the technical standards that each applicant/student must be able to accomplish.
Each applicant/student must be able to:
- Communicate effectively via telephone and radio equipment
- Lift, carry and balance up to 125 pounds (250 pounds with assistance)
- Interpret oral, written and diagnostic form instructions
- Use good judgment and remain calm in high stress situations
- Be unaffected by loud noises and flashing lights
- Function efficiently without interruption throughout an entire work shift
- Calculate weight and volume ratios
- Read English language manuals and road maps
- Accurately discern street signs and addresses
- Interview patients, patient family members and bystanders
- Document, in writing, all relevant information in prescribed format, in light of legal ramifications of such
- Converse, in English, with coworkers and hospital staff with regard to the status of the patient
- Perform all tasks related to the highest quality patient care
- Bend, stoop and crawl on uneven terrain
- Withstand varied environmental conditions such as extreme heat, cold and moisture
- Work in low light situations and confined spaces
- Work with other providers to make appropriate patient care decisions
Any applicant who does not meet the technical standards as outlined above is ineligible for admission to the school.
Any student whose status changes while enrolled and no longer meets the technical standards at outlined above may not be allowed to continue to progress through the program.